Saturday, August 8, 2009

CONOCO SAE 20W-50 Oil Review

The Product




The Test Subject




This time I get to review CONOCO SAE 20W-50 Engine oil. The Oil cost me BN$6.00 per liter. I use 4 liter for my 1.3 swift.

Here some of the detail of the product:
Conoco Hydroclear High Performance Motor Oil SAE 20W-50, formulated with premium base stocks, lubricates gasoline engines that operate under severe driving conditions. It is particularly recommended for high performance racing and rally driving by both domestic and foreign automobiles, including those equipped with turbochargers and superchargers where the manufacturer specifies an SAE 20W-50 motor oil.

It is also recommended for motorcycles that require viscosity grade SAE 20W-50. Hydroclear High Performance Motor Oil exceeds the performance requirements of API Service SL. It protects engines against wear, rust and corrosion and against the formation of sludge or varnish deposits. Its stable viscosity protects vital engine parts – even at high temperatures.

Info for the Techs guys:
Physical Properties
API Gravity 30.0
Viscosity 8800cP@ -15 degree Celsius
22000cP@ -20 degree Celsius

Viscosity Measurement 122
ASTM colour 3.50

Thermal properties
Pour point -32.8 degree Celsius
Flash Point 210 degree Celsius

*Measured in Metric



My Verdict: I've been using Duckhams Hypergrade 20W-50 for quite sometime now heck it's the only oil I can get my hands on cheap. Since I'm cheap bastard after all I went to try CONOCO. It's the same price as the Duckhams Hypergrade so I give it a shot.

From the packaging expectation it looks like a rip off from some super brand oil blend but what the heck, what is important is the oil in my opinion. So after I finish the engine service, me and Starscream head on to the high-way for some testing. The car feels ordinary nothing special but I did notice that now my speedometer isn't shaking anymore which is good.

Give the car a hard run since I have to meet with Mr Destroyer at the Civic Center, overall performace was nice. NO more valve ticking sound for me. Haven't try to dyno it but will do it soon after replacing all the faulty components such as Distributor cap, Spark plug and Cable.

If any of you would like to try this oil, please feel free to post at the comment. There's a lot of ranges for this oil, I choose the 20W-50 since my tuner recommends me to use it as my engine is well over 20 years old.

It also carries full synthetic blend,multigrade and so on.

Cheers.

2 comments:

smokey said...

Kalau semi brapa tah tu bro?

7th sign Regime said...

Semi synthetic not very sure, have to ask mr chin dlu. Aha aku ne kira middle guy. But It's damn cheap if I have to say.